Understand Your Business
It is vital that you understand your goals what it takes to establish, maintain and grow your business over time. Sometimes business owners just need funds but are not clear why or what is needed in their business. Working with a business technical assistance partner or business advisor will help you discern if you need funds now or in the future and more importantly what the best use of those funds will be.
Estimate the amount of funding you need
Start at the beginning: how much money do you need and for what?
- Tips on estimating startup costs (SBA)
- Online startup costs calculator (SBA)
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC) counselors can also help you determine your startup or expansion financing needs
Determine the best source of funding
- Overview of business financing (BizFilings by CT)
- Quick Pick chart of funding sources based on stage of business (BizFilings by CT)
Put together a business plan
Most funding sources will want to see a clear plan for your business. Get started with your business plan.